Unfortunately, there aren’t too many healthy snacks available over the counter that fill you up and keep you moving along nicely, without having to worry about the total number of calories you just ingested, or the amount of fat or sodium that’s in it.
We’re left with the next best alternative: taking out just a few minutes from our busy routines and preparing a snack that’s very easy to make and provides plenty of eating pleasure for adults and kids alike. Most young ones tend to create a certain amount of fuss at the dinner table. To them, the word snack simply means fun eating! Indulge in this fun for the whole family recipe and treat your taste buds to a quick and easy delight that’s natural and healthy.
Slice the tortillas like a pizza so the kids can enjoy utensils-free food. If you prefer packing them with extra ingredients, keep the forks handy. Before getting to the preparation part, a few common sensibilities are in order:[list type=”icon-arrow”]
- Go for the fat-free version or ditch the sour cream completely.
- You can always add some zest, flavor and nutritional value by chopping up a few avocados to sprinkle on every piece. This wonderful fruit is high in healthy fats, the kind that curbs bad cholesterol.
- Take it easy with the cheese. Even though it adds a nice protein punch to the snack, it can also add a lot of calories coming from fat. Go for the low-fat kind if you’re a cheese lover, or go for cottage cheese instead.
- Throw in extra salsa so that you can savor more vegetables with each bite.
- Buy whole wheat tortillas. These are great since the fiber will help you digest all that food better without making you sleepy. Avoid the ones made with lard.
- A lot of food lovers prefer using olive oil for shortening in the Mexican whole wheat flour tortillas. It’s considered among the healthiest options by many so you might want to give it a go.[/list]
Now, get a hold of these ingredients:
- 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast, diced
- 1 (1.27 ounce) packet fajita seasoning
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 green bell peppers, chopped
- 2 red bell peppers, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 10 (10 inch) flour tortillas
- 1 (8 ounce) package shredded Cheddar cheese (use the low-fat variety if you like)
- 1 tablespoon bacon bits
- 1 (8 ounce) package shredded Monterey Jack cheese (can be replaced with cottage cheese as well)
- Preheat boiler. Grease baking sheet.
- Toss chicken with fajita seasoning. Spread onto baking sheet.
- Place under broiler and cook until chicken pieces lose the pink in the center – 5 minutes.
- Preheat over to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Heat oil in large saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the vegetables and chicken.
- Cook and stir until vegetables soften – 10 minutes
- Layer half of each tortilla with chicken and vegetable mixture
- Sprinkle with cheddar cheese, bacon bits and Monterey Jack.
- Fold tortillas in half and place onto baking sheet
- Bake quesadillas in preheated oven until both cheeses have melted – 10 minutes or less.
Good luck keeping the kids off these! [/list]